It was brought to my attention at the very end of school that there was a mistake in the Flute Technique Book. I am aware of this and will have you a new book at camp. You can practice everything up to that (I think it’s page 17 or so) and study the other sections because the same concepts will apply. Sorry for the confusion.
If you ordered your band uniform the night of fittings at the high school, they are ready to be picked up. You can pick them up at your convenience at White Weddings. White Weddings is open Tuesday-Friday from 10:00am-6:00pm and on Saturday 10:00am-4:00pm. You will be provided with info about having your pants hemmed once you pick them up.
To avoid having a contest on the Fall Break weekend, we have made some changes to our 2016 Contest Schedule. Please take note of the changes.
October 1st – Competition at Durant High School in Tampa, FL
October 8th – Fall Break – NO CONTEST
October 15th – Battle on the Border
October 22nd – Competition at Sante Fe High School in Alachua, FL
I hope everyone is looking forward to a restful and exciting summer. Please take note of the following so when we return for Band Camp everyone is prepared.
- A lot of information is being added to the Music Downloads link throughout the Summer. This is where you can get all of your music for the Halftime Show as well as Pre Game and Stands Music. Please make sure you have all of your music printed off and in a flip folder when you come to camp. You can purchase a flip folder at Toads and Teacups here in town. You may want to purchase some extra pages as well. The page is password protected. Please see your Band Director for the password.
- IF YOU PLAY A BRASS INSTRUMENT – We are going to do something a little different this year. Everyone who plays a brass instrument will be wearing gloves at every rehearsal. To avoid you going through 30 pairs of cotton gloves, you will need to go out this summer and purchase a pair of batting gloves from a local sporting goods store. These will last you much longer and protect our investment of the new horns. This is what all the drum corps have gone to for rehearsal purposes. It doesn’t matter what they look like but you will not be issued a horn until you have a pair of batting gloves. Do not wait until the last minute to make this purchase. This goes for all trumpets, mellophones, baritones and tubas.
- We will be issuing the new horns on the Thursday evening of Rookie Camp. This will involve trumpets, mellophones and baritones. The way we will do this is if you are a Senior-Sophomore, you and your parent must be present on July 14th at 6:00pm for a mandatory meeting. We will meet in the cafeteria and go through the process of taking care of the new horns as well as signing a contract once you receive the horn. Again, this will only be Seniors-Sophomores. Rising Freshman will need to bring the horn they were issued over the summer to Rookie Camp. Tubas, Bass Clarinets and Bari Saxes will be issued horns the first day of Pre Camp.
- Please make sure you spend time with our Playing and Marching Fundamentals Handbooks. Hard copies are available in the band room and were issued at the Middle Schools. If you lose yours over the Summer you will need to purchase a new Playing Fundamentals the first day of Band Camp for $10. If you lose the Marching Fundamentals Handbook you can download it on the Music Downloads page.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you instrument is in good working condition when you show up to camp. You do us no good if you cannot play.
- Please spend some time with your music this Summer. Work out any problems you may have before you get to camp.
- Please make sure you are staying connected over the summer. Here are the following ways you can stay current with what is happening with the band:
- Remind Account: text @fc3a9 to 81010
- Twitter: @gabridgemen
- Facebook: Lowndes High Georgia Bridgemen
And finally…If you have outstanding band fees from previous years in the band you will not be allowed to attend Band Camp until those fees are paid in full.
Lowndes High School – First High School To Play System Blue Brass
It is with great excitement that System Blue welcomes Lowndes High School – “Georgia Bridgemen” Marching Band to the family.
The Georgia Bridgemen’s mission and vision is to work together to teach students in a safe, orderly, and challenging environment. As well as to inspire students to learn and to excel as a corps of passionate and unified learning communities striving for world-class educational excellence every day. Lowndes Director of Bands, Jon Bowman, had this to say about the new partnership, “I am ecstatic to begin our relationship with System Blue. From the product that they offer to the support of the entire System Blue family to ensure that our students are getting the best quality music education experience is unlike any other company out there. We are honored to be a part of the System Blue family.”
The “Georgia Bridgemen” of Lowndes High School have set the standard for dedication, creativity, and musicianship. Their dynamic shows have entertained thousands in venues ranging from high school football stadiums to the Georgia Dome and The Super Dome. Band members have performed for presidents, governors, and supreme court justices from coast to coast.
The Georgia Bridgemen have had the distinction of marching in three of the most celebrated parades in the nation: the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on November 27, 2003; the Presidential Inaugural Parade in Washington, D.C., on January 20, 2005; and the 2006 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California, on January 2, 2006. In 2006 the Georgia Bridgemen also travelled to Chicago for the State Street Thanksgiving Parade, and marched in the April 12, 2008, National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in Washington D.C. [their second time marching in this prestigious parade]. Most recently the Bridgemen performed a Memorial Day Concert on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C. and will be traveling this fall back to Chicago for the McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
John Meehan, System Blue Brass Product Designer and Brass Caption Head of the Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps, said: “We are thrilled to have Lowndes High School as the very first scholastic program to join the System Blue family and to perform on System Blue Brass instruments. Their desire for excellence and building a remarkable program makes them a perfect fit for this partnership. We look forward to a long journey with the Bridgemen and are excited about the growth opportunities that lie ahead for all of us.”
Numbering over 400 members, the Bridgemen create an unforgettable impression in performance. Don’t miss a minute of the Bridgemen’s spectacular show at halftime of the Lowndes High Vikings’ football games and in competition this fall.
System Blue is excited to have The Lowndes High School Marching Band Program on board. Together, it’s our turn.
The 2016 Football Program information was distributed at the March Booster Meeting. This is a great was to earn money for your student account. There are many different options for businesses to advertise in our football program. Remember that all ads are first come, first serve.
Under the Calendar tab you can now see Band Camp Dates and Football Schedule for 2016.
If you were unable to attend the Rising 9th Grade meeting, here is all of the information that was passed out. I am also including the PowerPoint presentation. The deadline for the Commitment Form and the Health Form is February 29th, 2016 if you want to be included in the marching numbers for the fall. You can turn these forms into your Middle School Band Director.
Rising 9th Grade Parents Meeting 2016 (PowerPoint from Meeting)
The new GA Bridgemen ECommerce site is now up and running. Visit often for updated merchandise offerings. http://bridgemenbandstore.qbstores.com/
The Georgia Bridgemen will be participating in the McDonalds Thanksgiving Day Parade and plans are well underway! The Bridgmen marched in this parade in 2012, follow this link for the television footage from that parade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuv7GId6Zk
If you missed the October 26th meeting, please CLICK HERE for the forms that were distributed. The first and last page are due back to Mr. Bowman (or your middle school director) by November 13th even if you elect not to participate in the trip.
If you would like to review the presentation from the meeting, it is available here.